Friday, January 27, 2012

Today, I rebuilt my Bendix carb.....and a redhead

Unfortunatly my sexy hot looking Mikuni that took me a couple days to figure out and fabricate mounts and manifolds for...is....TOO FUCKING BIG!!!!
My friend Harry, owner and operator of American Turbo Power, or ATP stuck with me for days of rejetting and trouble shooting and that is what we determined. Thus you will notice the K&N air filter with 3 yards of racer tape wrapped around. It was only by restricting the flow of this big assed carb by about 70% that it would run half way decent and actually get up on boost. So, it's scratch the Mikuni and shuffle in the old fashioned Bendix which Harry tells me is the hot ticket for making this thing work really well. This is in fact the carb used by Kawasaki when they produced the Z1R TC, which sold really poorly at the time because guys were not used to idea of a motorcycle with 170 HP, which ain't shit now days but back then it like seeing GOD!
There wee many stories of guys buying those things and bringing them back because they were afraid of them.
Now back to today
I took it apart 2 days ago...

Took them out today, rinsed, blew dry......

Put this $12.00 kit I bought off ebay in there...

And got me this bright shiny fresh Bendix to take the place of that 38 Mikuni.

I'll be mounting it up in there, directly on the turbo, should help with turbo lag as well as give me awesome throttle response. Maybe I'll get it running again by Saturday, FRiday and Sunday I'll be at the Grand National Roadster Show, maybe I'll see you there. Oh and here's your Redhead!

Your welcome....


2 comments:

  1. I dont care what people think , the bendix carbs and old school Super G's are perfect. Its a good example of keepin it simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin! how's this thing running with that bendix on it ? That CV on mine is doing OK so far but still has a way to go and I was curious if the bendix is the fix all that I think it is.

    ReplyDelete